Saturday, August 20, 2005

The Lowdown

Sunday, June 06, 2004

Went for a run this morning at about 8:30. I was still probably a little too tired from the drive, but I wanted to get into some type of exercise rhythm. Arnn and Rebecca also run – maybe some others do too. Had a quick breakfast downstairs with some of the guys and started reading/critiquing some of the stories. Our first meeting is tonight at 6:00. We're going to go over procedures, etc.

The meeting went well. Lister explained a little about the unexpected challenges that have put Clarion in a sorority house this year and some of the other things going on behind the scenes. Then he told us what’s close by and things we can take advantage of on campus – getting an I.D. that will give us access to the library including the Clarion archive.

Then Nina gave a wonderful talk about what to expect in critique sessions: two minute critiques (with no interruptions) and the last word from the author. She respects everyone and wants no one to get hurt during the critiquing process. I was very impressed and encouraged. All the time she was talking I kept thinking how great this experience is. I still can’t get over being here.

After finishing my critiques, I worked on “You Can Say Anything You Want.” I paced around the room for several minutes thinking, “Do I want to turn it in yet? Yes…no…yes…” I finally went downstairs and put it in the manuscript box. When I came back up, Tenea gave me a star for being the first to turn in a story! Cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home